Mexican Fishing License Process

San Diego, CA

Boat Fishing in Mexican Waters

In addition to having a valid tourist permit (see pg. 18), boats traveling in Mexican waters can and will be inspected by Mexican officials for violation of their fishing regulations. Mexico requires that each person onboard any vessel engaged in fishing must have a valid fishing license, regardless of age or interest in fishing. Having fishing gear aboard automatically indicates to the inspecting officials that folks aboard intend to fish. Although since January 2008, boat permits are no longer required for vessels practicing sport fishing in Mexican waters, the individual fishing permit is still required on any private boat engaged in fishing with boat being defined as a floating platform that includes dinghies, kayaks and paddle boards, etc.. So play it safe! Without assurance that everyone onboard is personally licensed to fish in Mexico then it is very important not to have any fishing gear aboard in Mexican waters or you may be seriously delayed and/or cited and fined. If you have the gear, then make sure that everyone aboard is licensed! (Note: Fishing in Mexico from shore or pier does not require possession of fishing license.)

Besides being fun, fishing is terrific in Mexico. Even if you think you will only fish from shore, think ahead and perhaps get fishing licenses for you and crew for the duration of your stay in Mexico – you never know when you might have the great opportunity to hit tuna underway – or best yet, to fish for dinner from your dinghy before sunset in and around your anchorage – pure bliss! Fishing licenses are now issued by the State (i.e. Baja Sur or Baja Norte) as well as by the Mexican Fisheries (CONAPESCA – Comisión Nacional de Acuacultura y Pesca) and can be easily purchased at several marinas throughout Baja and the Mainland, as well as the State Finance Office Kiosks in many shopping malls. Also Mexican Fishing Licenses can be obtained from CONAPESCA in San Diego either by mail or in person at the CONAPESCA office or from other agents in the area authorized to provide this service.  You can also visit the CONAPESCA office or one of their authorized agents in person with cash, money order or cashier’s check, and fill out an application on the spot for one-day assistance – no check or credit card will be accepted. Note This CONAPESCA office is authorized to issue Mexican sport fishing licenses only – It cannot issue individual immigration visas (or FMM –see pg. 18) that persons fishing in Mexican waters are also required to carry if they are not Mexican.

Other authorized agents for CONAPESCA are located at several of the sport fishing docks in San Diego (i.e. Fisherman’s Landing, H&M Landing, etc.) and Mission Bay. These agents all charge an additional $10-15 fee but they are very easy to reach and open long hours – i.e. they are very convenient and worth the extra charge.

The CONAPESCA office in San Diego is open Monday-Friday from 8AM to 2PM and is located at: 2389 Fifth Avenue San Diego 92101 – Phone: (619) 233-4324 FAX: (619) 233-0344 Current license fees are printed on the license application but are subject to change, same goes for fees list below:
Fees for 2018: $9.25/day $23.20/week $34.80/month $46.40/year (Best Deal!!)
NOTE: 1-year license is good for 12-months from purchase date – not just for the calendar year.

AGAIN NOTE: Fishing in Mexican waters is great, both offshore & in anchorages – get licensed!